We tailor ‘transition to school’ programs for each student. So whether you are transferring from another school setting or beginning school for the first time, we can work with you to design an orientation program that meets the needs of your child and your family.
Typically, a transition program will include –
- a school tour with plenty of opportunities to ask questions, look around our facility and view programs in action. We also warmly welcome extended family members who may wish to have a look around our school.
- an Information Gathering meeting. Here you will meet the team who will work with your child – the class teacher, physiotherapist, occupational therapist, registered nurse, occupational therapist and speech pathologist. Through informal discussions with you we aim to learn as much as we can about your child and what we need to do to make your child’s transition to Nepean as smooth as possible.
- structured orientation visits for your child. The opportunity for him or her to spend some time in the classroom, meeting their classmates and participating in some class sessions.
- time to complete enrolment formalities, including times for one to one assessment with therapy staff if required.
- for students wishing to have a dual placement, we work closely with the other school to ensure this is as successful as possible. We are happy to visit other settings, host teachers, integration aides and visitors from other schools and work together to ensure your child’s education is as seamless and cohesive as possible.
- for students transferring to our school, we are able to visit the student in their current setting to get to know them before they start at Nepean.